Wednesday, February 01, 2006

The Language Question

Hi There!

After an absence of a couple of months (the last time I blogged was in September) I decided to start blogging once again. I must excuse myself with all those who used to come on the web site and find that it wasn't being updated. Really sorry for that. I will try to keep the blog updated as much as possible with commentary on the latest news coming from my community, that is, Malta and the rest of the world with a special attention for Europe.

Not blogging doesn't mean not following. In fact, I have been following closely during these last couple of months Robert Micallef's blog Wired Temples, which, I must say has seen some steady improvement since last summer. I reccommend the blog for anyone who is looking up some info on Malta and the Maltese - I think that it resembles more of a blog portal as it always contains some interesting and thought provoking abstracts taken from Maltese blogs. A particularly interesting point which I could observe when reading the blog was the coverage given to what we may call 'the language question'. I have been following - though not very closely I must admit - the rise of the Maltese language on the itnernet. It seems to me that blogs written in Maltese are rising in importance and effectiveness. Well done to all those who worked for such a result! Thanks to their efforts Maltese now has a solid place on the ' bloggosfera'.

This situation has led me to reconsider my position. I have always been blogging in English. It seems to that it is somehow internet's language. But, I feel rather enthusiastic at the idea of experiencing blogging in Maltese. Thus I decided to turn Malta Daily into a bilingual blog as much as possible.

So let the experiment commence...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home